Zero in on Clutter (Part 1)

December 27, 2012

Are you tired of being ruled by your clutter? Do you love it but it doesn’t love you back?
If so, here are six ways to zero in on what you currently have and what you should get rid of.

1. Use the 80/20 rule . Most people only use 20% of what they own a regular basis. You only wear 20% of your clothes 80% of the time. In most organizations 20% of the people do 80% of the work. This rule is all around us. A good portion of the other 80% is comprised of things we used in the past or things we feel we might use in the future. This basically means that approximately 80% of your possessions just sit around every day, doing nothing more than gathering dust.

2. If you’re tired of clutter, begin to pinpoint which group each of your items belongs in. If it falls into the 20% that you use regularly, then the only thing left to do is to find a place for that item. It it falls into the remaining 80% it is a good candidate for a donation or garage sale item.

3. Give it the one hour test. If there was an emergency situation and you had no choice but to gather up everything that was important to you – in one hour or less – what would you take? What would you leave behind? This should give you an excellent indication of the items that are truly important to you and those items that aren’t very important at all.

Come back for the next three ways to zero in on clutter…………..

Comments

Comments

  1. Herb Zerden says:

    Hey very interesting blog!

Leave a Reply

* Copy this password:

* Type or paste password here:

111,109 Spam Comments Blocked so far by Spam Free Wordpress

Do you hate junk mail?

If you haven't already you can opt out of the main sources of junk mail by by going to the Direct Marketing Association website -- dmachoice.org. The Direct Marketing Association divides direct mail into four categories: credit offers, catalogs, magazine offers and other offers.
For each of these categories, you can choose whether or not you want to receive mail from them. If you would like to, you can choose to stop receiving mail for the all companies you haven't purchased from or donated to within an entire category. The good news is that any choices you make will be effective for five years from the date you make them.

Key Services

  • Business Organizing
  • Residential Organizing
  • Estate Liquidation
  • Presentations and “Fun”shops
  • Senior Move Manager
  • Decluttering Support Group
More...

RSS/Links